11.21.2005

Cool Hippie Movement Least Likely to Make a Dent

It's been around since the mid-90s...
There are commercials...
There are protests...
There's a website...

It's... Buy Nothing Day! When? November 25 (yes, folks, the Day After Thanksgiving)!

Now, I love this idea due to my personal disdain and boycott of the commercial circus that is shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. Plus, I am indeed dramatic enough to think dressing up like a zombie and wandering around oh, let's say, Walmart would be a blast. However, as stated by CBS in the 1997 Wall Street Journal article: "Buy Nothing Day 'is in opposition to the current economic policy in the United States'". Not to mention that it seems to be a favorite "holiday" of the masses.

So, Mr. Lasn, I applaud the idea, but I just don't think it will make a dent on our society any time soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home